I’ve wanted to do a chicken in the Slow Cooker for a while now, so it was definitely on my list for this month. For a weeknight, it worked really well, and we have lots of lovely, soft, juicy chicken left over. It isn’t a proper roast, but it’s still very tasty. It also makes the house smell incredible all day.
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 onion
- 2 sticks celery
- 2 carrots
- 1 clove garlic
- Sprigs of rosemary and thyme
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- Put the chicken in the slow cooker.
- Roughly chop the vegetables. Thinly slice the garlic. Put them into the slow cooker with the herbs.
- Put a small amount of water in the bottom of the slow cooker, just to cover the bottom really.
- Cook on Low for 8 hours.
- Ladle off some of the cooking liquid into a small saucepan. In a separate jug, slake the cornflour with a little water and add to the saucepan. Bring this to the boil to make a gravy.
The chicken will absolutely fall apart once it is cooked. I used two fish slices to get it out of the slow cooker, which worked perfectly!