There are some things that Slow Cookers should not be used for. As of today, I can categorically state that baking brownies is one of them. It just doesn’t work.
As you can tell from the photo, the brownies didn’t really crisp up at all. They were much more like chocolate fudge than they should have been. And they were a nightmare to get out of the tin.
Now it’s confession time: I used a well-known brownie mix out of a box. I would never normally, but it was really cheap on special offer in the supermarket and… well… You know how these things happen.
So if you really want to cook brownies in the slow cooker, here are my instructions.
- Make sure your chosen tin fits. I had to use a 7″ tin.
- Grease and line your tin.
- Place a saucer upturned at the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Fill your tin with the brownie mixture. Cover the tin with foil.
- Place the tin on top of the saucer in the slow cooker.
- Fill the slow cooker with boiling water up to half way up the tin. (I had to put the water in first and guess.)
- Cook on High for 2 1/2 hours.